An academic position in Landscape architecture theory and composition (1 EFT)
Vacancy Reference : 15703 / LOCI 011 / 2018 (to be quoted in any correspondence)
The Université catholique de Louvain invites applications for a tenure track or tenured full time position in landscape architecture theory and composition
UCL is a comprehensive university offering, in the context of the present position, the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research collaborations with the architects, architectural engineers, civil engineers and with the other members of the university community interested by the various dimensions of landscape architecture. The LOCI Faculty organises teaching to train architects, urbanists, and architectural engineers. It is internationally recognised for its expertise in the domains of architectural theory and design, urban design and planning.
The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching in the above-mentioned field (lecture and studio courses), within the various degree programmes organised by the Faculty, principally on the Tournai campus. The successful candidate may also have teaching assignments on the Louvain-la-Neuve and Brussels campuses.
He or she will have the pedagogical experience necessary to (co)direct a design studio in architecture, urbanism, territorial development, or landscape, in light of his/her particular expertise.
The successful candidate will carry on academic research in the area of landscape architecture theory and composition, including its preservation, cultural, technical, aesthetic, environmental and design dimensions, specifically on topics including:
constructive criticism of various landscape concepts in the context of public, private, or academic projects
coordination between theoretical concepts and concrete processes of composing landscapes,
complementarities between landscape and environmental processes (energy resources, climatic movements, orohydrographic issues);
articulating current and potential landscape design, urban design and landscape planning.
Experience as a professional designer in landscape architecture will be considered as an advantage during selection of candidates.
Starting date : 1st of September, 2018
Further information :
Professor Jean Stillemans, dean LOCI – firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Denis Zastavni, President of the Research Committee LOCI, email@example.com
Localization : Science and Technology Sector
Faculty of Architecture, Architectural Engineering and Urban Planning (LOCI) (https://uclouvain.be/fr/facultes/loci)
Tasks : the applicant will
– be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e. undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programmes of continuing education;
– supervise the final diploma research (i.e. theses) of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as Ph.D. theses;
– be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programmes;
– contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence;
– be available to ensure, in the long term, different service activities and responsibilities within the University and its entities;
– contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
Qualifications : the applicant must have
– a Ph.D. degree in landscape architecture, engineering (orient. architecture), architecture, or any related discipline;
– significant scientific record with international publications;
– either studied abroad for an extensive period or have had substantial experience outside UCL;
– experience in and the aptitude for teaching at University level;
– capacity to work within a team of teachers and to integrate research findings into teaching;
– creativity and must be open to teaching innovation and interdisciplinarity;
– capacities required to undertake high-level academic research: capacity to raise research fundings, to supervise projects, to animate and lead a research team;
– good knowledge of both spoken and written French and English. If this is not the case, the applicant accept to learn French and/or English in order to be able to teach in French and English within 2 years. Fluency in other languages is an asset.